Wednesday 18 July 2012

An Open Letter to the Best Western Hotel Pilotti, Vantaa

To Whom It May Concern,
 I recently stayed at the Best Western in Vantaa, close to the Helsinki Airport in Finland. I had an amazing time in Finland. Met some relatives, saw the sights, made some friends, learnt the language, got a bruise from an amusement park ride and got to see what Finland really is all about. I was there for two weeks and sadly the 15 hours I spent in your hotel was the lowest point I spent in your hotel.



I realise how ridiculous and stupid it is posting something like this online. It's a super first world problem to complain about any sort of luxury and I think hotels definitely included in that category, especially chain hotels. I'm not a geriatric, I'm not someone who writes letters to editors, but I am someone who believes in good service. I arrived at your hotel around seven in the evening, which in the Finnish daylight, looks like an average autumn afternoon. Your shuttle bus driver was more than kind and friendly and helpful and I wish, at the time, I had Euro to give him for a tip. The problems began at the front desk. There was an attendant or staff member there who was not exactly helpful during our check-in. I asked some simple question and he referred us to the usual Hotel manual that comes with every hotel room. I was tired and understood the situation but still I asked him another question and he honestly couldn't answer it.

Even if you were hot or new, I could understand, but this was ridiculous
It wasn't a language barrier issue as he was wearing a tag that, I assumed, meant he would be fluent in English and Finnish, or he was a British ex-pat. It was late and maybe he had been there for a twelve-hour shift, I shrugged, asked for the Wi-Fi password, got our suitcases and headed upstairs. Upon opening the door, we were welcomed with a warm climate and a TV that had been left on and was quite loud. I turned it straight off and found the nearest window. Again, shrugged and moved on.


...then promptly opened the window and stepped outside.
I always love reading the hotel room manuals. It's like getting an instruction manual for a room, which is rare unless you go to IKEA. Alas, it was unable to be seen and I was quite disappointed as one would like to know if there is a room service number just in case one gets incredibly lazy and can't walk down the hallway to the restaurant,. Again, shrug, move on.


Do you know how fucking comforting this thing is?



But here's the real kick in the dick. I tried the wireless internet your hotel provided and found on multiple occasions to get barely a signal. I became incredibly frustrated finding any point in the room which would provide a better Wi-Fi signal. Eventually, I gave up when I found two bars when I sat down to write my Steam Sale blog post. It was a fruitless endeavour that I eventually compensated with giving up and having dinner with my loving girlfriend. After a lovely meal, we returned to the room where the highlight of the night was watching the 2001 Chris Klein movie Say It Isn't So, with Finnish subtitles and showing my girlfriend one of the lamps had dangerously frayed wires.

Underrated, even without the Finnish subtitles.


Now, it wasn't all bad, I'll give you that. The beds were the most comfortable sleep I've had in quite a while, the food in the restaurant and breakfast buffet were amazing and the girl who served us was the kindest and sweetest waitress I'd seen my entire time in Finland. However, I have to say, I specifically chose your hotel for three reasons. Proximity to the airport, due to a flight, breakfast buffet and wireless internet. Whilst you hit a home run with the second, the first and third were a bit of an issue. I did state before I was more than pleased with getting from the airport to the hotel, however, getting from the hotel to the airport was met with a compromise.

The tigers...they were the compromise.


The airport shuttle runs between the mid afternoon and nine in the morning. That's all well and fine for all those who were coming and going in between those times, but it's ridiculous to shut it off between nine in the morning and in the afternoon. They have to be your busiest hours, non? I understand this is more of a subjective issue, but I just found it frustrating but also relieving in possibly the cruelest way possible. We had a flight leaving at 1pm and wanted to be there at 11am, so we decided to shrug and take the high road by just leaving at 9.

...and I fucking stole everything.


I found the Wi-Fi and my enjoyment levels waiting for two hours to check in for a flight, more enjoyable than most of my stay at your hotel. I would have rather taken that early bus and gone to the airport, than waited the two extra hours in that room. Of course, this is clearly due to my Dopamine levels linked to internet communication, but still, I thought it was something to take into consideration.

I'm also into Firewire...


I may or may not ever stay at a Best Western again, but I know where I won't be staying. Thank you anyone reading this. I am currently in a hotel room in Turkey, naked, with air-conditioning, amazing internet and a hotel manual, ready to enjoy myself for two days and nights, all for half the price I paid at the Best Western Hotel Pilotti in Vantaa, Finland
Signed,
Harrison Engstrom*


*I write this purely from my own hands and my girlfriend didn't want any say in it.


Share all your bad holiday stories in the comments or tell me on Twitter

Addendum: Since posting this, as you can see in the comments, my post was taken into consideration and I do have to say, whilst I did not enjoy my time at the Best Western Hotel Pilotti, still think of it as an option and maybe call or send an email to their staff if you have time.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Harrison Engstrom, I found you blog and was sad to read about your experience in Best Western Airport Hotel Pilotti. I will discuss with the staff to find out what has happened in the check-in so that questions could be addressed properly. The Internet connectivity will be checked as well as other technical points you mentioned. I know the hotel is open for ideas how to improve their service like in terms of shuttle schedule. If you have not contacted the hotel yet, you may send your feedback at http://www.bwfeedback.com. All surveys will be sent to the attention of the hotel management.
    Best regards
    Maija Hyotylainen
    Best Western Hotels Finland, Baltic States and Poland;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Highly appreciate it.
      Like I say in the post above, it wasn't all bad, but I was annoyed at some points and I wish I'd had a better experience.
      Thanks again for reading the post. I felt the overall experience was good but not great.
      I will leave feedback @ Best Western Feedback when I get a chance.

      Delete